PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

Ronin65
01-03-2006, 06:26 PM
A few years ago I was involved in a car accident which has left me with an extremely painful back injury. The injury is at the disk between L5 and S1 as well as some periphial nerve damage. I have found walking to be extremely painful as is sitting. My doctor told me if I can stand it I need to excercise. I don't want to be a victim to my injury for the rest of my life. I would also like to get back on the job. How should I start out? I don't want to make things worse but I can't let this beat me either.

Cold War Scout
01-03-2006, 07:04 PM
I would consider looking at Pilates and Yoga.

Pilates was essentially created, and successfully used, during WW1 in allowing bedridden patients to exercise. I think it would be very hard for anybody to argue with its successes over the past almost hundred years.

michael
01-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Pilates and Yoga are excellent, as are an inversion table, walking and deadlifts.

I have the same injury, with 2 discs that are shot. I have almost totally rehabilitated my back with deadlifts, stretching and exercise. I tried Chiropractic and Vax-d, with no success. It has taken much time, but I am now better than I have been in 9 years or so since it first flared up. It is extremely painful and you need to start very slowly, but without exercise, it will not get better. I would look for a sports medicene oriented physical therapist and start there, but movement is absolutely essential.

There is an excellent thread on the CrossFit forum by Dave Werner on back injuries. I would suggest you search for it at www.crossfit.com and read it. There are actually several good threads there about back injuries.

ewayte
01-03-2006, 08:12 PM
I had a back injury in the area of L4/L5 from trying to move part of a fallen tree after a hurricane back in 2004. Last month, I had a laminectomy plus a partial discectomy and am pain free. Before the surgery, I couldn't walk or stand more than 5 minutes before the pain would be like fire down my right leg (hip, calf and toes).

The first surgeon I saw (ortho) wanted to do a spinal fusion Right Now after the 3 cortisone injections into the disc didn't do anything to relieve the pain. I sought a second opinion from a neurosurgeon and he went for the least invasive procedure. I was only in surgery for an hour and was walking pain free that day. The only problem I've had is taking my rehab as slow as my surgeon wants - I went back to work in 3.5 weeks, he wanted me home for 5 weeks.

http://www.neuro-link.com/

Ronin65
01-04-2006, 05:31 AM
Thank you for the advice. I'm tired of the pain killers and tired of the pain. Will try out these excercises ASAP. Thanks again.

Scott

Cold War Scout
01-04-2006, 06:13 AM
Thank you for the advice. I'm tired of the pain killers and tired of the pain. Will try out these excercises ASAP. Thanks again.

Scott

Scott Sonnon has a philosophy I like: "Move to the pain, not through it."

ShanghaiJay
01-08-2006, 12:50 AM
+1 on the Pilates. I have been doing it for over 5 years and it has helped a great deal.

I would also try Scott Sonnon's Warrior Wellnes. I have been using that for about 2 months now. The programs are complimentary.

Jay

TomFurman
01-08-2006, 10:01 AM
#1 Joint Mobility. www.stevemaxwell.com- his dvd is great.
#2 Buy Dr. Sarno's "Mind/Body Prescription". Period. It has 'cured" thousands of the toughest hombres (read stubborn).
#3 Google Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell Club and read about his experiences (injuries), and use of the reverse hyper extension.
#4 Pilates and Yoga for sure. Search Marc Denny's posts on this forum about his and Guru Dan Inosanto's injuries.
#5 Light Kettlebell Swings have helped many. Use your physicians input above any external advice. (including this post).
# 6. As far as Yoga. Try Diamond Dallas Page's book. He had an injury like yours, and rehabbed it. Good stuff.

Hope this helps. Report back.
Tom Furman www.physicalstrategies.com

Ronin65
01-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks again for all the advice. Am working on finding out more about pilates and checking into all advice given. You have all been a great help and given me hope. The last few years have been rough on me and the family. Hoping to get back on my feet and back to work again.

:)

skirmishline
01-08-2006, 08:47 PM
All of the posts offer good advice, but if you are just starting exercise again consider swimming. This is not the total answer since you will eventually need some weight bearing exercise in order to gain strength, but it's a great place to start.

Proceed carefully with Yoga. I'm not saying don't do it, just carefully evaluate each exercise or posture. Sometimes unsupported forward bending can have long term detrimental effects on discs, even if it seems to make your hamstrings and lumbar muscles feel better at the time. Various "toe touching" stretches are what I'm talking about, versus a posture like the "downward dog" where you have your hands on the ground for support.

I herniated a disc (L4/5) in July of 2002 and had a discectomy in September of that year. It turned out to be a good move for me. The sciatic pain had gotten so intense that I couldn't do anything but lay down.

Dr. Jolie Bookspan has some helpful information at:

http://www.drbookspan.com/

Ronin65
01-10-2006, 06:27 AM
Thats about where I'm at now. They changed my meds to Percocet instead of the Lortabs. Also taking Neurontin. I have forced my self to train and do excercise, avoiding anything that seems to work against my back. Finding work is impossible at this point, which means no insurance.
Once they do a drug screen and find I'm on pain killers, they ask me why. Once they get an honest reply I'm told my injury is a possible liability to the company. I have found this so even with desk jobs. So you can see why I really need for something to work. Thanks, I will add swimming to my list. Something has got to work. I give thanks to all the support and advice given by all at this forum. God Bless.

TomFurman
01-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Once again, Dr. John Sarno wrote the book.

Two, If they prevent you from being employed, go to the National Labor Relations Board.

--Hope this helps.--Tom Furman