PDA

View Full Version : Obesity Factoids (from today's Washington Post)

Cold War Scout
01-03-2006, 07:38 AM
"Just 14 years ago, only four states had obesity rates as high as 15 percent. By 2000, at least 15% of the population was obese in every state but Colorado."

Numbers and percentages of adults Americans considered overweight or obese:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Men 65.1 million 67.2%
Women 64.5 million 61.9%
* 64.5% of the adult population

Numbers and percentages of adult Americans considered obese:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Men 26.6 million 27.5%
Women 34.7 million 33.4%
* 30.5% of the adult population

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/02/AR2006010201858.html?sub=AR

Manwell
01-03-2006, 08:44 AM
CWS,

I personally question some of these statistics. A couple of years ago I was reading the government standards as it relates to weight. Their standard had me listed as obeseÖ Iíll promise you that Iím far from obese.

Just did a quick Google search and still find that charts detailing Body Mass Index and height Ė weight charts all have me way over weight. I think that Iíll just keep on exercising and maintain my current weight, ignoring what the experts think.

Guess Iím just above average!! :D

Manwell

Ragsbo
01-03-2006, 08:50 AM
I also have problems believing the numbers. All the charts tell me I am very obese; but that is not the case. I hit around 245 at 6 ft 3, and sure i could loose a few pounds but in no way am I obese. My doc tells me 225 or 230 would be about right. If I got to their weight, there would be nothing but skin and maybe bones.

Cold War Scout
01-03-2006, 11:43 AM
We can quibble a bit with the numbers no doubt. I am overweight by most actuarial standards, but I would hardly consider myself "overweight" as I use the word. But there is no doubt people are getting fatter and fatter. Just take a walk through any Wal-Mart or Costco.

Randy Harris
01-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I remember a few years ago when the reported due to Body Mass Index(I think that was what it was called) that most NFL and alot of NBA players were OBESE. According to that a 6' 220 lb pro runningback would be equivilant to Fat Bastard? How insane!

Manwell
01-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Cold War Scout and Cruel Hand Luke are both correct in my opinion. Iím always leery of these reports, maybe I shouldnít be so cynicalÖ wasnít always this way! At 5í11Ē and 230 pounds Iím considered overweight by all of the published standards I could find.

Of course I must admit that Iím looking much better at 220 pounds!! :)

Manwell

Cold War Scout
01-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Hipper Than BMI
Note to the Newly Resolute: Gut Size, Not Weight, Appears Best Measure of Health Risk

By January W. Payne
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 3, 2006; HE01

The relationship between belly size and hip size appears to be a more useful measure of health risk than the widely used body mass index, or BMI.
According to a study published in The Lancet, a calculation comparing waist circumference to hip circumference is a better predictor of heart attack risk than BMI, a measure of weight relative to height. The results have implications for those seeking to assess their health for the new year: a measuring tape may be more useful than a scale.

(* Rest of article moved to its own thread*)

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=11233

3corners
01-03-2006, 08:22 PM
The problem with such statistics is that they take total body weight not the lean body mass and fat percentage into account therefore as Manwell stated the charts may indicate he is obese due purely to his weight however if his Body fat percentage is below 20% then he is fine. So basically if you have a lot of (heavy) muscle your BMI may be too high but in reality you are in no way obese.

Stay Safe

Jim