PDA

View Full Version : Grab N Stab

Custom II
03-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Well, I've had mine for a few weeks now, and I figured I would add to what people here already know...

For EDC, this knife is hard to beat in its size class. It carries well with either the tec lock, or IWB with a paracord loop. I prefer the latter option, personally, and I hardly even notice that it's there anymore. The blade design lends itself well for its purpose... and the effectiveness of the blade isn't mostly dependent on being razor sharp (although easily sharpened) or not. Pointy steel is pointy steel.

The sheath isn't as tight as I was expecting, although for my purposes it is plenty tight. I wouldn't strap it to a pack or holster without some additional form of retention, though.

If you are on the fence, I'd strongly advise you to buy without hesitation!

Texican_gal
03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
If a person could buy either the GnS, or the Gang Unit, what is your take?

I didn't get the GnS because of a fear that my hand is not strong enough to NOT cut myself in a stabby situation. The choil on the Gang Unit looks like it might be safer, for me.

Any comment?

Custom II
03-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Well.. the GNS and the Gang Unit are two different animals, so to speak. As a general carry piece, I think the GNS is better, simply because of the larger blade while still easily concealable. For a NPE blade, the GU's smaller profile clearly has the edge (no pun intended) if you can't dress to hide anything larger. FWIW, the GNS disappears under a tucked polo, for me.

About the grips, there are serrated on both top and bottom, just behind the blade... and they grip your hand extremely well. While it doesn't have a pronounced choil, it is very secure. I'll be interested to to some tests with various lubricants, but I suspect that it will perform well regardless of what it coating it.

Custom II
03-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Here is what I mean by the serrations. They are wide, but also deep with defined edges. The first pic shows the top of the grip. My thumb covers all the serrations, following the curve of the grip/blade, when drawing the knife. The second set keep you index finger pretty well anchored, with a bit of a 'stub' immediately behind the edge of the blade.

Texican_gal
03-26-2013, 04:11 PM
CII, thank you for the pix and the commentary. I've never seen that detail shown in a pic. It shows good planning, good design.

Seeing that makes me think that I could handle one ....

strengverboten
03-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Here is what I mean by the serrations. They are wide, but also deep with defined edges. The first pic shows the top of the grip. My thumb covers all the serrations, following the curve of the grip/blade, when drawing the knife. The second set keep you index finger pretty well anchored, with a bit of a 'stub' immediately behind the edge of the blade.

Come on custom II....put a razors edge on that GNS!

irishmike
03-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Come on custom II....put a razors edge on that GNS!

Or use it to clean and trim your fingernails! :lol:

Custom II
03-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Gee, a guy can't catch a break around here! lol...

Texican gal, I'm sure you could. TSD did this knife right, just like the rest of their offerings... you won't regret it!

And for the record, my GnS was razor sharp no less than 5 minutes after I opened it... it just isn't *critical* :silly:

I love this place...

strengverboten
03-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Gee, a guy can't catch a break around here! lol...

And for the record, my GnS was razor sharp no less than 5 minutes after I opened it... it just isn't *critical* :silly:

I love this place...

My carry knives get a few passes over the strop every week -whether I've cut anything or not.

I'm not sure if it was John Chambers or Don Robinson I read did that, so I started doing it too...

And yes...these guys give advice worth paying for :finger:

Base Bleed
03-26-2013, 09:02 PM
If a person could buy either the GnS, or the Gang Unit, what is your take?

I didn't get the GnS because of a fear that my hand is not strong enough to NOT cut myself in a stabby situation. The choil on the Gang Unit looks like it might be safer, for me.

Any comment?

I would buy the one I was fairly certain I would carry the most. For me..gang unit or something like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Barker
03-26-2013, 09:31 PM
I recently received the Gang Unit and already had the GNS. What was originally said is very true! They are different animals with different niches.

Like the OP, my GNS stays set up for IWB. Mine is the second incarnation with the textured grips versus the aluminum. Haven't had the GU long enough to make a call on where or how it will be setup. I just got it yesterday. It is much more robust than I anticipated. That's not a criticism, but an observation. I want to try it in the pocket, but may look at thinner grip panels of something else before I go there. As stated in another post I lefthand pocket carry an older Meyerco Warncliffe (sp?) with the micarta scales (not the newer plastic grip) in the sheath with the clip off. I am possibly looking for the GU to be an upgrade to it.

Custom II
03-27-2013, 12:30 PM
My carry knives get a few passes over the strop every week -whether I've cut anything or not.

I'm not sure if it was John Chambers or Don Robinson I read did that, so I started doing it too...

And yes...these guys give advice worth paying for :finger:

I touch mine up about once a week, just in case. I've been pleased at how sharp of an edge you can really put on one of these... :naughty:

strengverboten
03-27-2013, 08:22 PM
I touch mine up about once a week, just in case. I've been pleased at how sharp of an edge you can really put on one of these... :naughty:

That's why I love TSD's take on the warncliffe blade so much - even a mook like me can keep the (straight) edge as a razor.

Custom II
03-27-2013, 08:27 PM
even going so far as to shave with it....

Crap. I think the TSD bug is LONG past the incubation stage for Custom II

strengverboten
03-27-2013, 08:33 PM
even going so far as to shave with it....

To assure myself if its sharpness I do lightly pop off a bit of leg hair each time....my legs look like I have mange!

With sommer coming around I'll have to find an alternative test.

Custom II
03-27-2013, 08:36 PM
To assure myself if its sharpness I do lightly pop off a bit of leg hair each time....my legs look like I have mange!

With sommer coming around I'll have to find an alternative test.

BAHAHA! My girlfriend always asks what I've been up to when she sees a patch of arm/leg hair missing :lol:

I guess you'll have to go for chest hair, or....:yikes: