PDA

View Full Version : Replacement VEPR firing pin?

georgeib
03-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Hi all,

I snapped the firing pin on my 7.62x39 VEPR. It broke at the point the pin widens to retain the firing pin spring. Does anyone know if the pins are VEPR specific, and if I can use a pin from any other AK? Or where I can buy a Molot firing pin? I see several non-sprung type AK pin (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/firing-pins/ak-47-firing-pin-prod41492.aspx)s for sale out there, and one Polytech firing pin with a flattened striking surface (http://stores.homestead.com/polytechparts/-strse-433/Bolt-Body%2C-AKS-7.62mm%2C/Detail.bok) that also retains the firing pin spring. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

strengverboten
03-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Was it in normal use ?

georgeib
03-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Was it in normal use ?

Negative. Happened while dry firing.

georgeib
03-10-2013, 10:44 AM
29344 Here's a pic of the pin with spring and spacer.

Brent Yamamoto
03-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Perhaps contact the importer, Wolf Arms.

georgeib
03-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Update:

The ak74 firing pin arrived from Alex at Russiansurplus.com. He was kind enough to send 2, even though I only ordered 1.

They fit perfectly. And as they're just a knat's pubic hair shorter than the bolt tail, they won't be damaged by dry firing.

The down side, if any, is that you lose the sprung pin. I'll check for dimpled primers on my next trip to the range.

strengverboten
03-18-2013, 02:12 PM
I sourced a couple Whole RPK bolts and firing pins that I hope will work in mine should the original falter.

Thanks for updating...

georgeib
03-18-2013, 04:36 PM
I sourced a couple Whole RPK bolts and firing pins that I hope will work in mine should the original falter.

Thanks for updating...

Have you tried to fit the RPK bolt to your Vepr? If it fits, I'd like to get one as well.

strengverboten
03-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Have you tried to fit the RPK bolt to your Vepr? If it fits, I'd like to get one as well.

They show to have shipped out today...as soon as they arrive ill update.

georgeib
03-19-2013, 03:30 PM
I hope I'm wrong about this, but from the RPK bolts I've been looking at, it does not appear to fit the VEPR's bolt carrier. The vepr uses the ak74 style bolt with the smaller diameter stem. All the RPKs I've seen have the thicker stem.

ron308
03-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi Read your posting on the broken firing pin, so I checked mine because I too have been dry fire it a little. My is not broken but show a lot ware at the end BUt my firing pin spring is broken at that end. Early in the year i posted on ak47 about obtaining a spare bolt.n\No luck on any info I called wolf and molot in the usa got an email stating they do not sell parts. I THINK WE FOUND THE WEAK LINK IN MOLOTS VEPR.

strengverboten
03-23-2013, 03:42 PM
I hope I'm wrong about this, but from the RPK bolts I've been looking at, it does not appear to fit the VEPR's bolt carrier. The vepr uses the ak74 style bolt with the smaller diameter stem. All the RPKs I've seen have the thicker stem.

You are correct in this %100 percent.

Both of the RPK utilize a stem diameter of .428, where as the VEPR bolt stem is .345

It isn't matter of simply purchasing an RPK carrier/gas rod either as the RPK bolt head will not work with the VEPR trunion....

I'm begginging to understand why Gabe and TSD got out of the custom AK biz.

georgeib
03-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Apparently the Saiga 7.62x39 bolt will fit the Vepr. Looks like almost every country's AK has some peculiarity, it seems that the Russian AKs have interchangeable parts though.

ron308
04-03-2013, 09:12 AM
did you replace the firing pin and with what, and did it fire , how rounds with the new one, interested in your project I have a verp too.

strengverboten
04-03-2013, 09:17 AM
did you replace the firing pin and with what, and did it fire , how rounds with the new one, interested in your project I have a verp too.

I did the same repair as the op...

Ak74 firing pins fit and function perfectly. You lose the springloaded pin but I've done everything I could to induce a slam fire with no success.

At this point I'd call it a solid fix - not sure why vepr chose to use a specific part like they did

Paul Obraczka
05-10-2013, 09:44 PM
dry firing .....it will harm weapons no matter what ....snap caps are a must !!! just think of the weapon , has a tool -dont abused it !!it maybe your life at stake or others ,when it if fails next .....