View Full Version : HELP! Want to Hang Out My Own Shingle

David Bowman
02-21-2013, 04:35 PM

I was talking with my wife last night about money, jobs and such. Talking about how many officers I work with, many of whom I used to instruct as a firearms instructor, and how they have expressed to me how they would VERY MUCH like to get more instruction on firearms and weapons handling and how they would be willing to pay for it. I got out of the teaching business with my department because my department has no interest in teaching any tactics that would actually save lives (such as low light shooting, SHOOT/NO SHOOT situations) and demand you as the instructor just teach what the book says.

She bounced my ego a bit when talking about me and my knowledge and she said to me: Why don't you open your own shooting school?

And I thought to myself "that idea is the best thing I have heard all day."

So I am asking the question, possibly even to the Taipan and to others here, what is involved with a veture like this? I imagine it would involve a liability insurance policy (had to have one of those when I was a SCUBA Instructor in order to keep my license), a place to give lectures, a range to actually shoot on and some credentialing (NRA, ILEETA, IALEFI etc.) in order to certify the training as "recognized" and the usual of Tax ID numbers, DBA's, business licenses etc. I have been working on getting to an NRA instructor course for Pistol, Shotgun, and Patrol Rifle, so I have already started covering the beginning of what is involved with being a "certified" trainer beyond my own military and LE training and knowledge.

I have all of the tools to conduct training, but I need some help on what resources I might need that I have not thought of yet.

Anything to get me started would be helpful. I am not looking to get rich doing this, but I think I have knowledge and skills that I can teach to other Paduwans that can make them better at their job, or better at defending their families, homes and lives from bad guys.

Steve Paulson
02-21-2013, 05:32 PM
PM sent......

David Bowman
04-05-2013, 08:43 AM
UPDATE: Got information on the range and how much it will cost me to hold classes there. Put in a resume and such to the Taipan too, cuz it would be nice to start a pirate colony. Working all angles.

Now: Need help on insurance. Can anyone tell me who I may need to call to get business insurance like this from? How much (the usual 1 million dollars worth or more)? What kind (as in, is there a specific kind of coverage)?

Any help appreciated.

04-05-2013, 11:34 AM
I don't do anything involved with firearms, and my liability insurance AT A MINIMUM is $1M in coverage just to do business with or in some of my client locations. I just recently finished a job that required me to provide a $2M blanket certificate. I would venture a guess that insurance for a "dangerous" profession would require more, but that's just my opinion TIFWIW!

04-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Get an NRA instructor qual, then use NRA insurance. It's a good deal.

LLC up. Protect your personal ASSets.

Understand that it's a crappy time to break into training with ammo availability. Focus on short, one and two day stuff priced below national competition, and be prepared to give up your weekends if you want people to show.

Be prepared to defend what you teach in a court of law if one of your studs is in a shooting.

Adjuncting for a bigger name has its benefits, and its drawbacks. Decide what you want out of it.