PDA

View Full Version : 870 mag extention problems

Ragsbo
12-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Today I tried to put an extended magazine on my newest Remington 870 express but found something I haven't seen before. The magazine tube has two indents that the insert catches on to keep the spring in. These indents also keep shells from passing into the mag extention. Anyone seen this and what did you do to get the extention to work?

jack76590
12-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Not really much help, but earlier versions did not have indent. I remember because I bought 870 Turkey special quite a few years ago. Mind fortunately did not have the indent, but I heard about them coming out with indent very soon after my purchase. Two possibilities: 1.Maybe an old tube, similar to mind, is available and will fit 2. there is a police model 870 with long tube and maybe you can buy long tube as separate part and exchange with existing tube depending on your intended use.

Michael Biggs
12-13-2005, 05:44 PM
This is a common complaint about the Remington 870 Express, take it to a good gunsmith for the fix. I have a Choate extender on my 870-E.

Guantes
12-13-2005, 05:52 PM
The most common fix I have seen on various forums is a dremel then sandpaper.

Ragsbo
12-13-2005, 06:41 PM
If you remove the detents, how do you keep the cap in when you take the extention off? Just use the screw on cap? I use this gun to deer hunt and will have to convert it back to legal hunting form each season.

Guantes
12-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Ragsbo,
If you mean shell limit like water fowl, just leave the extention on and cut a 1/4" wood dowel to bring it down to the limit.
Gotta go shoot Tue night.

sween1911
12-14-2005, 01:10 PM
When I took apart my 870P (didn't have the detents), there was a crappy piece of spring steel in there over the end, holding the spring in place. I pried it out with a screwdriver and threw it intop my gun box. I think, even if you go back to stock, you probably don't need it.

southern son
12-14-2005, 03:57 PM
When I took apart my 870P (didn't have the detents), there was a crappy piece of spring steel in there over the end, holding the spring in place. I pried it out with a screwdriver and threw it intop my gun box. I think, even if you go back to stock, you probably don't need it.

Ditto. I haven't seen one with the indents yet.

LawDog
12-15-2005, 07:25 AM
I have used the dremel and sandpaper approach mentioned above, and have not had any problems. I did not use Loc-Tite on the nut, and have not had any problems with it coming unseated. YMMV.

Ragsbo
12-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the info!

rgriffin
12-16-2005, 09:19 AM
The indents are only on the newer shotguns (not sure exactly when they were added). For a gunsmith, it takes less than 10 minutes for them to get rid of that little problem. Also, have seen on the synthetic stocks, the forend grip is longer, which gets in the way of a side saddle......just a little piece of info for ya'll.
Randy

Ragsbo
12-18-2005, 01:39 AM
I have been hinting about a dremel tool from santa, so maybe I'll be able to try it out.

One hesitation I have with using this shotgun for defense is it has a rifled slug barrel. I need to pattern it to see if the rifling will effect buckshot. Has anyone tried shooting buck thru a rifled barrel, and how did it work?

Wulfenite
12-18-2005, 08:56 AM
I've read that the rifled barrel will lead badily and the patterns will be huge due to the chewing up the pellets recieve and the rotational forces imparted in the barrel.

IIRC there was a guy on TheHighRoad that reported on this a while back.

Michael Biggs
12-18-2005, 10:15 AM
I have a Remington 20 inch improved cylinder slug barrel on my gun. No problems at all shooting buckshot or slugs ever in over 16 years.

Don't make this complicated: Just shoot the gun frequently with good ammo.

If any of the trash/crap/enhancements that you put on any weapon falls off, breaks or hinders operation of the gun, then it probably should not be there and is a waste of time, effort and money.

Keep the shotgun simple and a lot of problems never surface.

Ragsbo
12-18-2005, 03:57 PM
All I have changed is to add the mag extention and a elastic butt cuff for ammo. I like it plain and simple, sort of like me!:D

Gabriel Suarez
12-18-2005, 04:06 PM
Came late. Presently on a shotgun project. I sugest the dremel and sandpaper route as well. I'd get a new barrel and put the rifled bore away. I tested one a while back (nice to test stuff when the agency pays for it). The patterns will be out of control.

Seriously guys if you want a long range thumper, get a short 308 rifle. Keep the shotgun for shotgun work.

I have noticed that the lonegr fore end makes for a faster handling gun. The short fore ends, such as the surefire light mounted one are short only because they had to fit in police shotgun vehicle racks. Its not an advantage for shooting it and I prefer a longer fore end.

As far as the sidesaddle, again, I'd not use it. Adding all these things to a shotgun makes it heavy and unwieldly. Keep it light and simple. My .02;)

Michael Biggs
12-18-2005, 05:06 PM
All I have changed is to add the mag extention and a elastic butt cuff for ammo. I like it plain and simple, sort of like me!:D

I have both of these on my shotgun. The elastic butt cuff (Uncle Mike's) may not be the best, but it works well for me. Tip: Loose a few threads to create a small hole in the seam and anchor it on the sling stud so it stays in one place.

Tip #2: Paul Abel, of the Shoot n Iron Academy, told me to use the butt cuff on my forearm, not on the gun.

Ragsbo
12-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Done done it! #1= works great!

#2; I assume you mean your forearm, not the shotguns.

Gabe, the reason for the rifled barrel is for deer hunting. Stupid state won't let you use a rifle to hunt, has to be a shotgun slug only. That really sucks, but we keep the freezer full (got 6 last year and 4 this year). Still to many around. My daughter had one hit the car to the tune of $1,300 !

Michael Biggs
12-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Ragsbo,

Yes, he suggested that I wear the cuff on my forearm. I have done it in training and on actual military duty. Works fine.

Ragsbo
12-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Which forearm, weak or strong hand?

iluvfreebeer
12-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Today I tried to put an extended magazine on my newest Remington 870 express but found something I haven't seen before. The magazine tube has two indents that the insert catches on to keep the spring in. These indents also keep shells from passing into the mag extention. Anyone seen this and what did you do to get the extention to work?

If you're handy with a dremel tool it's a five minute fix.
If not - a gunsmith can quickly fix this. It's common on wingmasters.

dilligaf
12-28-2005, 11:46 AM
I used a file on mine.