PDA

View Full Version : Training Experience with Students with Disabilities?

Ammo Lab
01-15-2004, 06:44 PM
edited for content

Condition Brown
01-15-2004, 07:09 PM
I personally have worked with two deaf students in the past during a basic pistol course curriculum. Individual attention is definitely required.

I used an ASP "red" gun during lectures/demonstrations (with the rest of the class). Malfunction drills were demonstrated on a live range with the student standing at my 3 o'clock.

And when student live fire drills were required, either another instructor or myself would stand next to the student and performed the drill at least once on the line (to pace the student).

P.D.
01-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Two techniques that have worked for me in the past.
The first is to use some simple hand signals (somewhat similar to those used for SCUBA) for basic range commands. There are also some military hand signals one can use for such things as "cease fire".
The second is touch. Use touch to certain parts for any number of commands. This can include such things as direction, (left, right, up, down) or basic range commands. Touch is always used in the deaf community as an attention-getter.

Another thing you can try for commence/cease fire is to use your Sure fire on the target - light on commence fire - light off cease fire. It is related to how "deaf" doorbells and alarm clocks work and be familiar.

Just make sure the signals/touch commands are well understood and well rehearsed. Also, stand where your student can see you without turning.

Be creative, enjoy and learn from your student.

orsectrain
01-16-2004, 12:20 AM
Try using note cards, or other writing material, I think the Light idea is a good one.

I had a student who was deaf, and I (with his consent) would tap him on the sholder to give him the command to shoot, and again to cease fire. The others students were no problem verbal commands were given at the same time. I put him in the middle so I could watch both directions, and with a class of five, it was no trouble.

If you have more students have an R/O assist you with the physical commands (tap sholder...), or visual commands (light).

What ever you do be sure He understands the drills (notes cards...) prior to the live fire drills.

I wish you well, and good luck.

Remember just as the disability may effect his quality of life having to be constantly reminded of it may be worse yet. Try to give him no more or less attention than any of the other students, other than a reasonable allowance for communication.

I found this to be true with folks that had disabilities of any type. They want to be treated just like everyone else to the best of your ability.

Respectfully

DaveJames
01-16-2004, 08:32 AM
As I work only with the troops in my PD, I have run across just one deaf trainee, he was hired to be a computer wiz, and the boss said to let him train with the handgun,, now what I'm about to say may sound nuts or even a little cruel, but it was his suggestion and it worked,

After doing all training in the class room, with dry weapons and dummy ones, we went to the range, one instructor was stationed behind him with an air horn, on the command the horn was blown, he could feel the vibrations and ran the course, when the jams came he handled them like an old pro, he told me that being deaf was an advantage while all that was going on.

michael
01-16-2004, 02:12 PM
One thing to remember is that many deaf people tend to become very frustated quickly. Sometimes it is difficult to keep this from occurring, but if you pay enough attention to what they are doing, it can easily be prevented.