PDA

View Full Version : Glock 22 or 23

SGTF109
10-01-2003, 05:55 AM
Does anybody here own a Glock 22 or 23 and use it for CCW, home defense, LE, or the range only. Whats your opinion of this weapon?

John Silver
10-01-2003, 06:49 AM
Interesting question, as I've been looking at going to a G22 or G35.

I owned a G19 in the past and liked it. But, I owned a G23 and thought it was far too snappy for the size. My impression was that even the G27 was a much more pleasant gun to shoot. While it sounds odd, I've talked with quite a few die hard Glock guys who are very experienced shooters, and they had the same impression. Not saying the G23 is uncontrolable by any means, just "why on earth is this thing snapping so much?"

Reliability was perfect, as was accuracy.

I don't know what size you are, but I've found that there is little advantage to the "concealable" pistols. I could hid a full sized 1911 under the same shirt used to hide an Officer's model, for example.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Good luck in your choice.

karl johnson
10-01-2003, 07:18 AM
Interesting question, as I've been looking at going to a G22 or G35.

I owned a G19 in the past and liked it. But, I owned a G23 and thought it was far too snappy for the size.

I used the 22 and 23 at the last department I work for, and I liked them both. My personal favorite was the 23. I thought the 22's grip was just not quite right for my below average sized hands, but the 23 was just right. I did not notice any difficulty in controllability and would have gladly used it on duty instead of the 22. As they were dept guns I could not have the grip reduced, though I have tried a 22 with that mod and found it just right.

I suppose it might be a difference in load, or grip, or maybe I just didn't know any better, but I liked the 23 better.

KJ

John Silver
10-01-2003, 07:26 AM
I used the 22 and 23 at the last department I work for, and I liked them both. My personal favorite was the 23. I thought the 22's grip was just not quite right for my below average sized hands, but the 23 was just right. I did not notice any difficulty in controllability and would have gladly used it on duty instead of the 22. As they were dept guns I could not have the grip reduced, though I have tried a 22 with that mod and found it just right.

I suppose it might be a difference in load, or grip, or maybe I just didn't know any better, but I liked the 23 better.

KJ

I doubt if it's a matter of you "not knowing any better." Sounds like you have the bases covered and found what works for you.

But, that's why they make so many different models. We all have different reactions and like different things. It's part of the beauty of the internet - you get to hear what everyone thinks.

rjg45
10-01-2003, 05:43 PM
I have a Glock 23 - I think it is the perfect size and weight for CCW. Shoots well, accurate, and controlable for me, 10 rounds or more if you have full-cap mags. Compared to my full-size 1911 with magwell, the shorter butt height of the Glock makes a difference for me when wearing light clothing like a t-shirt. Since KB is a concern for me, I replaced the stock barell with Barsto. It which offers slightly more support for the case over the feedramp. If I had to do it all again I'd probably just buy the Glock 19.

Best Regards,
RJG45

John Kuhlman
10-01-2003, 09:25 PM
I've had a 23 for about a year now and it's the best FITTING gun I've shot. This is the gun that taught me about the importance of fit. I had a 36 before this and thought it fit my dainty mitts just fine...that is until I tried the 23.

Go with what fits your hand better.

Scout
10-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Both are good guns for carry or duty. The 23 is easier to conceal when you have limited options (it *is* a smaller gun).

If you do a lot of shooting (several thousand rounds/month), the 23 may be a bit much, especially if you have larger hands. For me, the full size 22 or the extended 35 is better when I shoot a lot.

I carry a 23 when I have to wear a tuxedo. My daily carry is a 22 because I like the full size frame.

FedDC
10-03-2003, 06:09 PM
I am looking for a 23 myself for off duty carry. We are issued 229Rs with a DAO trigger so I want to ditch it as soon as I get off. Anyway, I am a little nervous aout it since I have a 19 that positively SUCKS. It is the most unreliable pistol I have ever owned. It jams every mag. the problem is that the rounds strike the feed ramp too low and hit the bottom left edge of the lip and it freezes the gun. Sometime a tap rack will help, but it is usually done until the mag is changed. I have replaced the followers with a new design part from Glock and bought new mags from them. Nothing helps. I have also replaced the springs with wolf springs...no better. I sent it to glock and the polished the ramp...no help. Ammo doesn't matter. Glock said it is common with the 19 and it is usually the follower. I don't know if it is a problem with the 23 or not, but we'll see.

SGTF109
10-04-2003, 04:14 PM
I am looking for a 23 myself for off duty carry. We are issued 229Rs with a DAO trigger so I want to ditch it as soon as I get off. Anyway, I am a little nervous aout it since I have a 19 that positively SUCKS. It is the most unreliable pistol I have ever owned. It jams every mag. the problem is that the rounds strike the feed ramp too low and hit the bottom left edge of the lip and it freezes the gun. Sometime a tap rack will help, but it is usually done until the mag is changed. I have replaced the followers with a new design part from Glock and bought new mags from them. Nothing helps. I have also replaced the springs with wolf springs...no better. I sent it to glock and the polished the ramp...no help. Ammo doesn't matter. Glock said it is common with the 19 and it is usually the follower. I don't know if it is a problem with the 23 or not, but we'll see.

Hi FedDC, I own a G23 and know others who do and we all have NEVER had that problem. You should go to glocktalk.com and and chat with the many Glock armors they have on that forum for help with that G19..Good Luck!

FedDC
10-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Hi FedDC, I own a G23 and know others who do and we all have NEVER had that problem. You should go to glocktalk.com and and chat with the many Glock armors they have on that forum for help with that G19..Good Luck!

I went over there a while back and that is where I found out about the new 9mm followers. It seems that the 19s have a real problem with the issue follower in the 10 rounders. They will replace them for free with a new follower that supports the full length of the round as opposed to just supporting the rear portion. The new follower is labled 9MM 3. I tried them and it is a little better, but it quit jamming regularly and now jams sporadically...oh well

NTS6GUNNER
10-15-2003, 11:07 AM
Both the G22 and G23 are great handguns. I like the G22.

M700
10-15-2003, 12:34 PM
I'm partial to the 23. The 27 is just a wee bit too small for a lot of shooters to handle well. For me, the 22 doesn't do anything that the 23 doesn't do as well, in a more compact package.

Like the three bears, the middle one is "just right." :) Guy

michael
10-15-2003, 05:51 PM
I've had several Glocks, 17,19,21,26 & 23. I had trouble from the 23 and eventually got rid of it. It jammed constantly, just like the other poster said. The round from the mag kept ramming into the bottom of the feed ramp and stopping up progress. I replaced all kinds of parts and it never worked right. I hate unreliable guns and got rid of it after about 6 weeks. I loved the size, but I won't carry something I don't totally trust. I also thought that it had a lot of muzzle flip for a .40.

IYAOYAS1223
10-22-2003, 07:09 PM

i've put thousands of rounds through my 23 and only had one prob but it was operator error, the mag wasn't properly seated. other than that it's worked as advertised. i love this gun.

karl johnson
10-24-2003, 02:06 PM
While any machine produced by humans can be bad, I never had a prob with my 23, and I saw a couple hundred at my last dept that were monotonously reliable as well. Muzzle flip is, of course, a matter of preference, and I would not have felt at all underarmed with a 9mm 19 with modern ammo.

Of course, my dept did not allow single action guns period full stop. My P7 slipped through, and I wish I had it with me today. Unfortunately, some of us get what we're given.

KJ

I've had several Glocks, 17,19,21,26 & 23. I had trouble from the 23 and eventually got rid of it. It jammed constantly, <SNIP>I loved the size, but I won't carry something I don't totally trust. I also thought that it had a lot of muzzle flip for a .40.

Ragsbo
10-26-2003, 05:42 PM
Does anybody here own a Glock 22 or 23 and use it for CCW, home defense, LE, or the range only. Whats your opinion of this weapon?
I own a model 22 and like it a lot. My department recently converted to the model 22 from the S&W Model 686. We did not have any problems with it being to large for the hands. I have shot a model 23 and it is okay but dosen't fit my hand as well, (I have a rather large mitt). I think one should try each and see which one "fits".

Yamdog
10-28-2003, 04:44 PM
The grip angle of the Glock was a little difficult for me to get used to since for years I carried a Smith 3rd Gen, or a Sig, but after I had a Robar Grip Modification done I really like the Glock 23. It's very light to carry and is as reliable as any of my Sigs. It seems easy to shoot probably because of the single action type trigger and good reset.

InTheBlack
10-29-2003, 11:49 PM
What's the phone number to call to get the new G19 followers? Will they just send a couple dozen or do you have to return the old ones first?

BTW, the grips on the large and medium frame 9mm and 40SW are exactly the same dimensionally except for the length.

How may styles of front strap are they up to now? Three?

Poohgyrr
10-31-2003, 10:47 AM
FWIW, the G23 frame size is my favorite for general all around carry, and my personal one was trouble free from '91 until I semi retired it about a year ago. That pistol avg'd about 50 rnds/month. The G22 isn't bad, but the balence of the G23 feels better to me.

Shady
11-11-2003, 03:19 PM
I've had the 22, and currently have a 23, 35 and 27.

For carry purposes the 23 is hard to beat. I was slightly more accurate with the 22, but chose to use a 23 for carry.

I traded the 22 in for the 27 for those times when I needed a smaller gun, but as mentioned earlier, the smaller grip of the 27 is a little slower to get into action.

Overall, the 23 is my favorite, followed closely by the 35, which I use as a GP house gun.

All of them have been completely and utterly reliable.

Glass
11-12-2003, 01:18 AM
I was a very reluctant Glock convert. I was a diehard 1911 guy.

Then I shot one. :-)

The more I handled them, the more I liked them.

My hands aren't big enough for the G21 but the G22 fits my hand well.
I finally picked up a G22 about a year ago and have never regretted that decision. It has been reliable as gravity even with cheap ammo.

I feel confident in the abilities of the .40SW (for a handgun) and it isn't bad at all in the recoil dept.

I do wish that I had opted for the better sights when I bought it but I'll remedy that soon.

Patrick

Sizzler
11-12-2003, 09:41 AM
I have both a 19 and 23. I bought the 1st gen. 23 first and have no regrets. I bought the 3rd gen 19, 2 months later. Other than just wanting another Glock my reason for getting the 19 was because I could get the ammo cheaper so I could shoot more often. (hey, my wife bought that excuse). Anyway a year later I still shoot the 23 more than the 19. My CCW is also always the 23 in a CompTac C.T.A.C.. This is what works for me.
Oh, and in the last year that I have had my Glocks I have never had a failure to feed , fire, or eject that could be attributed to the gun. All of the problems I had were with a bad batch of range ammo (Reloads :rolleyes: ). Since I am now using factory ammo I have not had a problem.

abelew
12-04-2003, 04:13 PM
When dealing with glocks, one should refrain from using reloads, since the kB issue presents itself. However, I am an owner of a G22, and am very pleased with its performance, I wish that I had purchaced a G23, but only for the purpose of carry. If I were able to carry anything, I would choose my 22. As with all the glocks that I have come across, it is the gun that I would use to defend myself if it came to that, even over my Kimber (I havent broken it in yet, so its still a bit finicky).

Dave in PA
12-05-2003, 05:13 AM
I have begun carrying my G23 more often due to some unpleasant crime changes in my area. Before, I usually carried an S&W 3913 due to ease of carry. Now I would rather put up with the extra burden of hiding the gun and have more/larger rounds available.

My experience with Glocks (19, 23, 26 and 27) has been entirely good. I've never had one single problem not attributed to ammo or operator error.

Dave

Bruce Eimer
12-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Dear fellow list members,

I am new to this discussion group, so hello, and here are my two cents on this thread:

Massad Ayoob wrote that the Glock 22 is the most popular police duty pistol in use today in the US. It's definitely a great gun and very reliable, but if it does not fit your hands, or it doesn't feel right, then it isn't right for you--that is, if you have a choice in the matter, and it's not your duty issue gun.

For concealed carry, the shorter grip length of the G-23 does help a bit. You need a greater rear muzzle rake and butt forward cant (a.k.a., the "FBI cant") to conceal the bigger G-22, but a straight vertical drop without any cant is unlikely to conceal the G-23 also.

As to shootability, again, that really is an individual feeling thing.
The G-22 and 23 are both .40 SW. I find them both to shoot well, and both to be very controllable, and like the G-23, but the G-22 IMHO is probably a bit easier to control.

I personally love my .40 SW mini-Glock 27, but yet I also am very comfortable with my G-22. For ease of carry, however, I am more apt to grab my G-27 and stick it in a Greg Kramer or Don Hume IWB holster.

Now, in 9mm, the G-17 (same exact size as the G-22) has been proven over and over again to be a reliable gun that can take Herculean punishment and abuse and still function well. The G-19 has definitely had its problems which Glock has addressed.

From my point of view, and this is just me, if I am going to carry a Glock 19 with the 15 round hi-cap, I'd rather be carrying my Glock 23 in the more powerful .40 SW round with a 13 round hi-cap. I lose two rounds but gain the higher power load.

However, again, this is just me, if I am going to carry my full-size G-22 (with a hi-cap magazine holding 15 rounds of powerful .40 SW), I am just as happy to carry my ultra-reliable full-size G-17 with a hi-cap magazine holding 17 rounds of 9mm jacketed hollow points (Speer Gold Dots, Federal Hydra-Shok, Cor-Bon, Winchester SXT). I kinda just go "enee-mynee-mo" here.

Bruce Eimer