PDA

View Full Version : Frangible Bullets - terminal effects?

Sleuth
01-14-2004, 11:57 AM
This question comes to mind because so many police agencies are building indoor ranges where they only allow frangible ammo. No matter what procedures they have in place, I'm sure some officers, someplace, have some of the range ammo in their handgun.

So, has anyone done any testing of the terminal effects of these rounds? Can the fragments be detected in the body with x-rays? Do they offer any benifit or risk compared to a lead or jacketed bullet of the same profile?

Thanks in advance.

InTheBlack
01-24-2004, 08:50 PM
What's "biasmuth?" If you mean Bismuth, that is a rather dense metal and I don't understand why it wouldn't show up; unless the compressed/sintered construction just turns completely to dust and spreads out a lot.

InTheBlack
01-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Interesting. What products use it, and can you tell me more about who invented it? Is it proprietary to a bullet maker? I did a G*!gle search and the only reference to the word was your post!

InTheBlack
01-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Now that you get me thinking of material science, creating a special purpose material for use as a frangible bullet would be interesting.

You want a crystal structure that resists the initial acceleration & rotation friction (shear stresses?) but which is easily shattered. Diamond would be good :) And if you can adjust the density you can create either light & fast or heavy & slow recoil signatures.