PDA

View Full Version : Venison back strap recipe

Knowledge
12-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I took a deer this weekend and wanted to share a new recipe I tried last night.

Take the back strap and butterfly it open long ways. Mix cream cheese, bread crumbs and diced jalapenos together into a thick paste with desired spices. Fold the back strap back together with the mixture in the center. Wrap a few slices of bacon around the back strap. Use food grade cotton twine to tie the strap closed. Cook on a smoker or raised on the grill over low heat 1.5 to2 hours turning every 20 minutes or so. Pull it, let it cool a little and slice it. Serve it and watch it all disappear.

DC950
12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
a friend of mine does this with duck except he just slices the jalapeno and lays it between the halves. Great stuff!

JD Lester
12-10-2012, 04:07 PM
I just added this to my menu.

You can use tooth picks to stich it back up after you stuff it, this will hold the bacon on also.

v/r

JD

Ragsbo
12-10-2012, 06:06 PM
I just slice mine into 1/2 inch slices; roll in flour and fry in cooking oil.

Heywood
12-10-2012, 06:44 PM
With such a fine cut, I lIke salt, pepper and charcoal. But I just might try this next time.

Sgt. Psycho
12-10-2012, 09:46 PM
I just slice mine into 1/2 inch slices; roll in flour and fry in cooking oil.

Same half-inch slices, but sauteed in coconut oil with onions, sweet peppers, and garlic.

Other variations include the above combo with sliced potatoes added, or the sliced strap with onions and sliced yellow squash (from the garden during the summer), all done in coconut oil.

TACC
12-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Great idea

mudgunner49
12-17-2012, 01:06 PM
That is a variation one one that I do with venison tenderloin. I butterfly mine and stuff it with a mixture of cream cheese and minced garlic. I rub it with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with Montreal steak spice then wrap with pancetta (Italian bacon that we buy from a local butcher by the slab - you can carve off a slice all the way around about 9 feet long so no toothpicks required to hold everything together). My cooking technique is the same as yours and it totally disappears almost immediately - but then with two boys, at 6'3" and 260, I'm the second shortest in the house and my wife is 5'3" so all the food goes fast...

blake