PDA

View Full Version : Gear discussions

Capt. Nemo
01-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Hello folks; I found this site just today over on Packing.org, and thought I'd take a look. So far, I like what I see! Got a question. I'm sort of new to the self-defence / shooting-sports thing. I do have a .22 Marlin lever action and a Ruger Security-Six that I shoot fairly well, but I never did get into the Combat Mindset way of thinking or training, and I'd like to fix that little "error in judgement" on my part. Got my pistol permit coming soon, and I'm gonna get me a Kimber TLC, then go out to Gunsite. (Sorry Senoir Suarez - I have 2 of your books and am learning a WHOLE LOT from them, but I'd kind of like to start at Col. Cooper's place first). No offense, I hope! Anyway I'd like to start getting the gear I need to do the job right and wondered if anyone might have a recommendation about tactical flashlights. I've been told the Surefire G2 or 6P are the best ways to go. Any thoughts? e.g. size - type of material - rubber grip-cap in the middle (what for I'm not sure) halogen bulb vz the new LED bulbs - etc.

Thanks for any help folks - I'm by no means a "Warrior", but I'd like to learn to be at least passing-fair!

Grey Wolf
01-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Mostly to give you a little BTT... :D

But IMHO, you should find what works for you (holster, gun, mag carrier, light and carrier etc) then learn it. Make it become second nature. So when something is out of place or missing you no it right off (but then train to over come that with out thinking!!! :confused: )

I hope I have come along way since I started the mindset portion of training... my advice, read, keep your mouth quite, read/ learn, learn, train and learn/ train more.

If I am off base, someone will be long shortly, but this is what has worked for me.

Stay safe and watch your six.

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf
01-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Oops, by keeping your mouth quiet, I did not mean DON'T ask questions. If something is unclear please ask...

As I read somewhere... "If you ask a dumb question your a fool for 10 minutes; if you don't ask a dumb question you and a fool for the rest of your life."

Later

Grey Wolf

VaughnT
01-13-2004, 07:10 AM
Welcome aboard, Captain. Always glad to have another friend by the fire.

For flashlights, Surefire really is the best out there. I have a G2 and a 6P. The G2 is a great beginner's light, every bit as bright as the 6P, but cheaper. Some like them better because they are lighter and don't get chilly to hold in the winter months. You can't go wrong with either of them and there's no law saying you can't buy both of them. :D

LED v. Inc Bulb? Depends on your wants and needs. The LED is great for general illumination but sucks for "blinding" the adversary. If combat is your main concern, stick with the incandescent bulbs. If doing a pretrip inspection on your vehicle is the primary use, use the LED. If money isn't a problem, buy the A2 Aviator and get the best of both worlds.

If you'll scroll down this screen, you'll find another thread, "basic loadout for beginners", that talks a good bit about what you need to get started.

Holler if we can help more.

Capt. Nemo
01-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Welcome aboard, Captain. Always glad to have another friend by the fire.

For flashlights, Surefire really is the best out there. I have a G2 and a 6P. The G2 is a great beginner's light, every bit as bright as the 6P, but cheaper. Some like them better because they are lighter and don't get chilly to hold in the winter months. You can't go wrong with either of them and there's no law saying you can't buy both of them. :D

LED v. Inc Bulb? Depends on your wants and needs. The LED is great for general illumination but sucks for "blinding" the adversary. If combat is your main concern, stick with the incandescent bulbs. If doing a pretrip inspection on your vehicle is the primary use, use the LED. If money isn't a problem, buy the A2 Aviator and get the best of both worlds.

If you'll scroll down this screen, you'll find another thread, "basic loadout for beginners", that talks a good bit about what you need to get started.

Holler if we can help more.

Hey guys - thanks for the advice. Yeah - I found the stuff about flashlights in another section of the board, but I appreciate the comebacks just the same.

I'm also a flashlight (and rescue gear in general) packrat, so I don't need another general purpose light, though I'm always looking - LOL!

I'll pick up one of the true tactical lights in keeping with the "blind your opponent"
theory. Not that I'd use it in every day, use since I'm just a civilian and not a LEO, but who knows if I might ever need to use these skills defending the castle, (tiny as it may be!)? Hee Hee!

Thanks again.
Capt. Nemo

VaughnT
01-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Cap, check the Surefire website for a model with that new "strike bezel" design. For CQB defense of your castle, this baby seems to fit the bill. Better to have it and not need it.....

Surefires can be addicting. I'm something of a gear junkie and really have to watch my wallet!

For a good defensive pistol that's cheap to shoot, give the Browning HiPower a shot. That's probably going to be my next purchase after getting over the bill for a .22lr conversion unit for my .45 Colt. I did say it's addicting.

Also, for a combat light, the 6P is better than the G2 because it's aluminum and hits harder. Great for a fistpak or gouge, should you need it.

Sleuth
01-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Since you are going to GUNSITE, they have a very well supplied pro shop. Prices can be a bit high, but you get to touch the equipment and get some good opinions.

My experience has been that some folks on the net carry more gear than I did for 26 years as a Federal Investigator, all under the "But what if....". It's a free country (mostly), but, for what it is worth, here is what I carried:

Handgun
1 spare mag.
Radio (now, a cell phone)
Cuffs (Deleated)
Badge (now CCW)
Commision Book (Deleated)

Notice, I did not carry OC spray, or a flashlight on my person. I generally controlled my environment, and had the body armor, flashlight, and long gun in my car. OC spray was not adopted until just before I retired. I also worked in the Southwest, where it was mostly one story buildings (no stairwells during a power outage).

With a reliable handgun, and a trained mind, consider where you go and what you do before spending money on equipment. And for every dollar you spend on gear, spend 2 on training and practice.

Welcome to the fold of those who accept the responsibility for their own safety.

VaughnT
01-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Sleuth, there is wisdom in your words.

Scout
01-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Cap'n

Here's is what I see most often at Gunsite:

Pistol
1 or 2 magazines on belt
Kydex carriers & holster for above
A 6v personal defense light ($urefire G2 or C2 or 6P, I would also look at the Streamlight Scorpion which is brighter and cheaper than $F lights)
A tactical folder

That should suffice for most anywhere you are going when you start carrying. Make sure you get good instruction in the use of your carry items or it will become a liability.

Don't buy stuff you don't need. Spend the $$ on training and ammo for practice.

01-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Scout,
Even though I'm not a Surefire fan my partner has Surefire Z2 and it is brighter then my Streamlight Scorpion. I like the Scorpion and they are great lights for the money and I've had my Scorpion since 1995. However, the tactical flashlight I got from Cheaper than dirt is brighter then both of them and only cost me $25.

Capt,
There are a lot of good lights out there without the Surefire price tag.
Streamlight TL2
Pelican M6
Streamlight Scorpion