PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of fanny pack holsters?

mrvmax
01-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Does anybody here use them? I have a couple different holsters for my G27 and I also use a fanny pack. I can hold not only the Glock but my wallet and cell phone. I cut a small piece of wood to fit in front of the glock in teh gun compartment to break up the outline and give the fanny pack some rigidness. It also allows easy access when seated in a vehicle. I don't hear much about people using them so I wanted to hear input. I live in South Texas (weather is normally 100% humidity/90's about 10 months out of the year) and I wear shorts 95% of the time so the fanny pack is usually easiest to use.

Wulfenite
01-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Perfectly fine as long as you're willing to let all vaguely CCW savvy good guys and bad guys in on your secret.

Brigrat
01-08-2004, 01:14 PM
I like mine, especially for ccw in hot weather.

DaveJames
01-08-2004, 02:25 PM
I can't make my mind up on the fag bags, they have there place, but most I see carrying them just shout HEY I HAVE A GUN!!!!!,The ones that seem to work the best are off colored, not square, and not built like a damn suitcase.

I do have one its puss green and has patches sew on it, I have carried a 226 and a 228 in it, the 228 is better,
Hints I give my guys

Wear it in the front, or just to the side a little
Don't carry your wallet in you back pocket, put it in the bag or go to another way to carry funds, same for badge case get it out of your pocket, don't use the ones that have rip cords, go to break aways, when you wear one try to match the clothing to go along,i.e.,, no sport coats and suits, In Tidewater,VA my play ground we gt do many tourist during the summer, that if you dress the part and use some common sense with the fag bag you blend right in

RedDevil
01-08-2004, 02:55 PM
I really don't think they scream gun anymore. You see so many tourists and elderly people wearing them nowadays that you don't know if they're packing a gun or a wallet and sunscreen. When I took my AZ CCW course, my instructor came into the room on the first day with a fanny pack on and asked the class to guess how many guns he had concealed on him. Everyone guessed the fanny pack as well as a couple other obvious spots but of all the 8 guns he had on him, none were in his fanny pack. It only had his wallet and keys in it. If you're comfortable wearing it and it means carrying your gun all the time vs. leaving it at home because it's too much trouble, then by all means wear it.

billcameron
01-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Fanny packs are generally considered casual attire. Therefore, anywhere a fanny pack fits in so does an untucked polo. I chose the untucked polo everytime. Granted there might be some situations were a fanny pack had advantages over untucked polo or simply fit in better, but I can not think of any.

Bodfish
01-08-2004, 03:34 PM
I recently saw a fanny pack that was specifically designed to carry a CD player and really looked like it, e.g., brightly colored with a distinct outline for where the CD player fits. One of these with a cord runing to a small headset worn around the back of the neck would not give the "CCW" message like the conventional fanny pack.

jacketch
01-08-2004, 04:03 PM
and not built like a damn suitcase.

Thats the biggest giveway. And the goofiest look too!

Charles Rives
01-08-2004, 06:42 PM
I'll wear a fanny pack holster if I'm going someplace where a non-gun fanny pack wouldn't be out of place . . . Hiking in the local park for example. I often wear one when I'm out walking my dog. You see lots of dog owners wearing fanny packs to carry dog treats, plastic baggies, water bowls and the like. So, mine has a little of that stuff too (in the part farthest from my body) along with the pistol (in the part closest to my body).

People mess up when they wear a "tactical" looking nylon fanny pack over their slacks. That just looks odd even to non-gun-savvy people.

I bought an adhesive decal with my college mascot on it and placed that on the front of my fanny pack so it looks a little less likes something from the movie S.W.A.T. wardrobe department.

-Chuck

Grey Wolf
01-09-2004, 12:58 AM
I think "GUN" and possibly Cop.

I can not believe how many LEO's I work with carry in fanny packs (year round). I suppose at least they carry off duty (compared to about a third of our follks who don't).

Reminds me of the Covert vs Concealed Carry (http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=123&highlight=covert) from awhile ago. Good reading.

If you like your "pack" good on you, but as mentioned, as long as you are OK with most cops, CHL holders and potentially some BG's knowing that your carrying, feel free.

I will stay with my IWB and loose clothing.

Stay safe

Grey Wolf

mrvmax
01-09-2004, 02:45 AM
I guess you guys assume it's a large fanny pack, to the contrary. It took some searching but I found a fanny pack that was barely larger than the length of my G27. It's the smallest fanny pack I've ever seen so it isn't like the majority of them that are large and bulky.

Wulfenite
01-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Mrvmax wrote:
It's the smallest fanny pack I've ever seen so it isn't like the majority of them that are large and bulky.

Here's what I notice about those minimalist packs..... First I notice weight. If its a small pack, completely filled with gun, it will look heavy. You can see the weight pulling on the straps and see its inertia when the carrier moves.

Secondly, if there's nothing in the pack but gun, the carrier will never get in there for anything. Their wallet, will be printing in their pocket, keys as well. Their cell phone will be hung on their belt, sunglasses in pocket.

The other thing about fanny packs is that if they are properly designed to secure the gun and still provide fast access there will be some external sign,.... an external zipper, pull tab, extra buckle, etc. Once you've seen a half dozzen variations on gun packs there's no fooling you any more.

I guess I'm with Billcameron, If its casual enough for a fanny pack its casual enough for a untucked polo shirt with an IWB. The IWB will be faster, more secure, more comfortable, and certianly more discreet. The only real advantage I can see to the fanny pack is as a grab and go bedside, car, desk type of thing to keep a gun, mag, light, OC in one package for easy access.

Sam Spade
01-09-2004, 12:02 PM
I guess I'm with Billcameron, If its casual enough for a fanny pack its casual enough for a untucked polo shirt with an IWB.
I'd just like to point out that certain activities lend themselves to the fanny back, but not the IWB.

Bicycling. Jogging. Carrying a pack. Physical labor with lots of bending and reaching. Trips to and from the chiropractor.

Sleuth
01-09-2004, 01:48 PM
I live in a resort area, and there are only two types of folks here wearing fanny packs in town:
1. Flatlanders from the city, with their white legs, shorts, black socks, and loafers.
2. Guys with guns. (They usually add a GUNSITE/H&K/SIG hat, just to make sure you know.)

Out on the trails, there are some fanny packs.

My test is to look at the folks around you. How many fanny packs do you see in a day? Who are they on? If you see more than a few, go for it. If they are only on the folks described above, either find some other way to carry, or stock up on black socks & loafers.

GLR40
01-10-2004, 02:22 AM
i wear fanny bags when:

*going to the gym wearing gym clothes or when biking

*when traveling i usually keep the bag on the car seat for easy/quick access, slip it on when stopping for gas/etc.

imho they are 'ok' but its better to carry IWB/etc i think.

GR

jacketch
01-15-2004, 01:59 PM
I'd just like to point out that certain activities lend themselves to the fanny back, but not the IWB.

Bicycling. Jogging. Carrying a pack. Physical labor with lots of bending and reaching. Trips to and from the chiropractor.

LOL I loved that line :p

Anthony
01-15-2004, 03:20 PM
I don't know if Brazilians invented them, but when I got here ( to live, - I'd already visited twice,) 16 years ago, they were as common as acne on a teenagers face. EVERYBODY used them.
Still do. Not in a suit going to the office of course. Weekends, jogging, cycling, going to the beach etc.
Going to the beach, dressed in swim trunks & flip-flops, WHERE do you put your gun ? ( That could be painfull gents - depending on the size of your gun :( )
Despite the fact that they are common here I still don't like them.
I tried a trick I learned from a gold-prospector.
TWO tight swim trunks to secure a small stainless revolver, with a baggy pair of shorts pulled over to conceal the 'bulge' ;)
Great untill you are sweating away under a 40 C sun & want to take a dip in the sea :cool: ( This one's for you Mark Swain.)

Best bet was to take a small styrofoam box to the beach, with some ice, some beers, & the stainless piece in a paper bag on top of the cans. Wallet in a similar paper bag, also in the box.
Fanny pack with a 'wallet' ( nothing in it, - or maybe just a couple of notes ) to 'fool' any snatch thief. :p

FWIW, if I weren't going to the beach I would NEVER put a gun in a fanny pack. I may well carry a fanny pack, but the gun goes elsewhere. IWB probably.
Whilst cycling I've adopted another method, - but that's not part of this thread.

A few cultural differences between our countries means that my post is probably of little use to you guys, - but what the hell. Maybe it's interesting.

Regards,
Anthony.

DaveJames
01-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Well having visted a beach down your way a few years ago, the thought of hiding any thing larger than a 22 black widow brings smiles to my face,, especialy the women :D :D

NewMedico
01-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Wasn't in Goldfinger, or one of the early GOOD Bond Movies that the Bad Guy said, "That's what I like about a woman in a bikini. No place to hide a weapon."

NM Eric

Al Lipscomb
01-16-2004, 11:17 AM
I work part time in a sports arena and we search all bags coming in. We see a lot of "fanny packs". Finding a gun in one is so rare that most of the people doing the searches don't even know that they should think "gun" when they see one. Only CCW people seem to think that a fanny pack means gun :)

Of course most CCW people fear anything that may be called a purse on their otherwise macho body.

John Kuhlman
01-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Anthony,

If you don't mind my asking, how do you carry while cycling? I have a tool pack under my seat that has carried a gun, but it's not easy to get to and you have to dismount to access it anyway.

John

Anthony
01-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Anthony,

If you don't mind my asking, how do you carry while cycling? I have a tool pack under my seat that has carried a gun, but it's not easy to get to and you have to dismount to access it anyway.

John

I don't mind you asking at all John, that's what we're here for. It's somewhat relevent to the thread anyway.

Good/expensive cycles are often stolen here in Rio, with the use of violence !
In most cases it's by a group of thugs, who use their number/menace to simply threaten, having stopped their van in front of the potencial victim. ( The cycle is throw in the van, leaving the victim to walk home.)

I use an IWB ( not leather in this case ) to conceal a small Stainless ( doesn't have to be, but it's better to resist sweat ) revolver. I place it in the small-of-the back position. Normally this would be easily seen, but it is hiden, & held in place, by a FANNY pack, positioned behind, - over the small gun. This pack contains my CCW, money, hand-pump, repair kit, first aid kit, & a cape in case of a down pour. This Fanny pack has two pockets for water/gatorade bottles.
To draw I have to reach alittle further behind me than I would for a normal 'strong side' kidney carry, & push my hand between my back & the Fanny pack. Works great for cycling, but not for walking, especially with the light cycling shorts. But this method as I mentioned, is for cycling. When cycling I'm not walking.
After trying many carry methods, I settled on this because of the simplicity, and similarity to my normal carry method. - Strong side, behind the hip ( kidney ) position. KISS.
If you really can't live without a big gun for awhile, then put your BUG in this position, & your 'Howitzer' in the Fanny pack together with the other things. Like in other situations, ( driving perhaps,) the BUG becomes the main gun, & vice-versa.

Regards,
Anthony.

Sleuth
01-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but what did you have to do to get a CCW in Brazil?

Anthony
01-17-2004, 10:34 AM

Sleuth,
I've posted with information about our situation here ( CCWs, shooting sports, options etc.) I'll do a search/check on the threads & let you know. If I can't find them anymore, then I'll send a PM within the next few days.

Regards,
Anthony.

Anthony
02-07-2004, 11:51 AM

Sorry about the delay in replying Sleuth. Some older threads seem to have 'dissapeared' from the Forum. - Probably to make space for the newer threads. I can't find my relevent posts.

Basically, we have to prove we have a 'clean' slate. ( Abit beaurocratic but not difficult.) Pass a test with a 'pycologist' :rolleyes:
Pass a test about safety rules/parts of the gun ( point out the hammer/trigger etc :confused: ) plus a shooting test.
But the worst part for most people is the REASON/NEED. WHY do think you need a CCW ?
For the rich that's easy, - Mr Green !
For the rest ( like myself ) we have to have a 'GOOD' reason !
It's all changing now. New laws ( if they are not 'overturned' in the Supperior court soon, will make it very difficult for everyone ( unless of course the person is 'well conected'.)
At the end of last year a new 'gun law' was signed by our 'President'. ( An absolute MORON !)
Since then, home residence robberies have already increased by an alarming percentage here in Rio. :(
Same old story. - Disarm the GGs, & crime goes UP !
Will the politicians EVER learn. - Or more importantly, - will the PEOPLE in general ever learn ?

All the best Sleuth,
Anthony.

combat effective
06-21-2004, 04:11 AM
I dont currently own one, but I am planning to get one for use when I go rafting this summer.

I do know of a female investigator that uses one on duty.

David
06-21-2004, 04:59 AM
I've found the fanny packs to be inadequate for sports activity. I find that the fanny pack tends to bounce around too much.

I've tried fanny packs, belly bands and finally settled on the Kata Puma holster. This is a nylon holster integrated with a not-elastic nylon belt that keeps a full sized handgun close to the body. When running, the gun stays in place. I have used this in the past with a Sig P228 and now with a Bul M-5 Commander (http://www.bultransmark.com/Products_m5carry.htm) [poly framed hi cap 1911 action] 9mm.

Kata does not sell through any retail outlets any more. When I purchased the belt/holster combo, they were sized, now there is a universal adjustable model.

This holster is also great for wear without a belt with elastic waist shorts or warm up pants, etc. It is also suitable for deep concelement, wearing it with a shirt tucked in over it.

The material does not allow sweat to pass through and is padded enough fot it to be comfortable on bear skin.

You can see this holster on page 24 of a PDF download at the Kata (http://www.kata-bags.com/Literature/milpro-list.pdf) site.

Kata only produces products from their military/security line to order. However if there are enough people interested in putting together a group order, I can see what the cost would be. PM me if you are interested.

combat effective
06-21-2004, 08:26 AM
Thanks, David.

I'll check it out. I looked at some fanny packs from Blackhawk Tactical. They looked okay. I'm mainly just looking for something to put all my stuff in while going down the river. I may even put my stuff in ziploc bags inside of the pack to protect them from the water.

I'm always looking for a better mode of carry though; so, thanks for the info.

David
06-21-2004, 08:42 AM
They looked okay. I'm mainly just looking for something to put all my stuff in while going down the river. I may even put my stuff in ziploc bags inside of the pack to protect them from the water.

CE:

While going downriver, you might want to consider one of the SealLine packs:

http://a1072.g.akamai.net/f/1072/2062/1d/gallery.rei.com/regular/chips/492264_321.JPG

This will keep your gun and ammo dry. The only downside is that your reaction time will be necessarily slow.

I found this at the REI (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=34800&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1) website, but you might be able to find it locally.

I have one of their storage bags that I have used to store weapons in when I knew that I was going to be imersed in water. They keep the stuff dry, but you may have to fight your way out of a bad situation before you'd be able to deploy a gun in one of their bags. Of course you could always cut open the bag in an emergency for rapid access to your pistol.

Sleuth
06-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Depending on which river you are rafting, there are also legal considerations. If you are in a National Park, you may not possess firearms. Just info so you can make an informed decision. The biggest crimes in National Parks are car theft, but other bad things do happen on occasion.

combat effective
06-21-2004, 01:29 PM
We won't be in a National Park. As far as I know, the place we are going is not part of any park service state or federal.

I've always been of the school of thought that they will never know I have it unless I need it, and then I won't care about the weapon charge.

Sleuth
06-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Oh, I agree. But this way, you will not be tempted to 'talk guns' with the park ranger, and then say: "Well, I've got my blaster right here,....ah, why are you putting cuffs on me?"

Crucible
06-21-2004, 03:45 PM
I use a fairly nice looking leather fanny pack that I picked up at a local gun show a few years back. It has the 'standard' pockets as well as the easily-accessed nylon holster pocket.

It seems to blend in quite well with most casual clothes (brown leather looks nice), and fits my wallet, key's etc. at the same time so I can make it look like I'm using it for "normal" things.

I can't say I'd want to use it for running, though it might be acceptable for cycling. (Perhaps a better solution for cycling/running is something like this:http://www.action-direct.com/257.htm , but I've never used one myself so....)

Cruc

DaveJames
06-22-2004, 12:08 AM
If your running the water , you mite want to lookat Waller gunbags, he makes a Fag bag for the SEALS that floats

JerryM
06-22-2004, 11:43 AM
I sometimes wear a fanny pack. So what if gun savy people think you are carrying? If it is legal I don't really care if the LE suspects it.

I especially like one when I am driving. It is easier to get to the gun when wearing a seat belt, and if on a trip, just wear it in the rest stop.

Jerry